I want to state this right up front: until recently I had no idea about what constituted the best skincare regime for my skin. To be honest, I didn’t even have a good regime. To be even more honest, there was no regime. Zip. Nada. Nothing.
Occasionally I would moisturise or put on a body cream but my heart wasn’t really in it. My head wasn’t either – I really had no clue how to take care of my skin. Then I got my little hands on a copy of Amazing Face by Zoe Foster and got myself a clue!
If you haven’t already read this book I can’t recommend it enough. Not only does it break down and clearly explain how to take care of your skin, but it’s full of great hair and makeup tips, is beautifully designed and is possibly one of the funniest books I have ever read. Her writing style is slightly random in the very best kind of way and she really makes skincare simple.
So this is a bit of a list of things I like to do now to keep my skin healthy:
- Cleanse: I use Clinique’s Liquid Facial Soap every morning in the shower. While I do try to use it at night as well, if I don’t have much time or am too lazy I just clean off my makeup with a cleansing wipe.
- Tone: After my shower I use Clinique’s Clarifying Lotion as my toner and let it dry for a minute or so before moisturising.
- Moisturise: I use Clinique’s Dramatically Different Moisturising Lotion most days to get my skin in shape before putting on makeup, but sometimes for a little extra boost I use Elizabeth Arden’s Day Renewal Emulsion.
- Body oil: I had never used body oil until Zoe Foster put out her own line of Go-To Skin Care. The Go-To Exception-Oilis just dreamy – it is perfect for reviving dry skin, replenishes natural oils and smells fan-freakin-tastic! Think coconut oil, cocoa butter, sweet almond oil and Tahitian Gardenia extract.
- Body scrub: To be frank, I like to use Frank’s coconut and grapeseed combo as my body scrub about once a week. This stuff smells amazing too, combining coffee with brown sugar, jojoba and of course delightful coconut and grapeseed oils.
- Serum: I have been using organic rosehip oil in place of a serum for about a year now and can’t get enough of the stuff. It’s known for encouraging skin renewal and is full of fatty acids and Vitamin E, plus you just need a few drops. I use it before I go to bed and combine it with a night cream.
- Night cream: I’ve just started using Sukin’s Moisture Restoring Night Cream, which also has rosehip oil as well as evening primrose.
- Hands: I have to admit, I always forget to put on hand cream but when I occasionally remember I like to use Garnier’s Intensive Protecting Hand Cream with aloe vera.
- Lips: My lips dry out like crazy, especially during winter (thanks for nothing ice cold wind) so I like to use either Go-To Skin Care Lips! or MOR’s Blood Orange balm.
- Nails: Now before you get cranky and say ‘Joni, nail polish has nothing to do with skin care’ let me say this – I don’t care! That’s right, I’m breaking the rules. I’m a blogging rebel! But let’s get on to more serious matters, like my favourite shades of OPI polish. There must be something about my hands that makes me neglect them, but when I do have the time to put on polish I like to work with a colour that fits my outfit and my mood. Right now I am crazy about Samoan Sand, but I do like Mod-ern Girl and Hawaiian Orchid as well.