It is so easy to get caught up in the hustle, bustle and craziness of your day-to-day plans that you miss some of life’s little moments.
It happens to us all. The lovely little bits and pieces that add up to a pretty amazing life often get overlooked in a world of deadlines, headlines and drama.
I am a big believer that when you take the time to stop for a moment and appreciate all the little wonderful things you realise how good you have it.
A few things of late have caused me to pause and reflect, so I thought I’d share some of the things I am grateful for at the moment (like wine for those days when you really need it), in the hope it inspires you:
- Quiet time: Every now and then I get Saturday mornings all to myself and I make the most of it by buying a stack of magazines, coffee and some delicious treat (most recently it was a lavender and honey cronut that was out of this world) and sitting down to peruse the printed word without a care in the world.
- Flowers: It is spring so obviously there are flowers everywhere! While my sinuses don’t appreciate this so much, the rest of me loves how pretty it all is.
- Snapchat: A new convert, I am so grateful my friends introduced me to this entertaining app. I couldn’t image my weeknights anymore without the stupid messages I have become so used to sending and receiving (although I do need to work on my ‘drawing’ skills).
- My camera: Through this blog I have been inspired to take more photos and I am just loving my DSLR.
- Dry shampoo: Dear Batiste Dry Shampoo, thank you for being so awesome. Without you I would have to wash my hair every day or two. I really, really appreciate the extra days you give me. Plus, you smell pretty. Love, Joni.
- Social media: I am so thankful that any time of the day I can jump onto Facey or Instagram and see what my siblings or parents are up to. Nothing like a bout of homesickness to make you appreciate the ones you love.
- Books: I literally have a growing stack of books beside my bed that I can’t wait to read. First on my list is Gone Girl (thank you Huber for the recommendation).
- Rhys Darby: I love this ginger Kiwi so much and caught his latest film What we do in the shadows on the weekend. “We’re werewolves not swearwolves.” Thanks for the giggles, but you will always be Murray Hewitt to me.
- Well-behaved magpies: We are in that sweet spot of the year when it’s warm enough to walk everywhere AND magpies haven’t started swooping yet. As someone who has been swooped on multiple occasions you better believe I am thankful of this fact.
- Holidays: I am currently planning two different (but equally exciting) holidays. One is a visit back to my hometown to see friends and family, and another is to Melbourne. Exciting times.
So, now it is your turn: what stupid little things are you thankful for?