I have been thinking a lot lately about all the good things in my life and how lucky I feel sometimes. But it can be so easy to get caught up in negativity and only see the bad.
I have never wanted to live my life that way.
At the end of each month I am going to share some of the things I have been most thankful for and I would love for you to do the same. So let’s get this party started; here is what I am thankful for…
- Home. I am lucky enough to be able to return to my childhood home every few months to see my family and immerse myself in memories. You see, the house my parents still live in is the house they built for their family more than 20 years ago. So a lot of sweat, blood and tears went into making this house our home and every little detail has its own little memory. Walking through the front door on my recent visit, I immediately felt an overwhelming sense of being home and that is a pretty fantastic feeling to have.
- Almond croissants. Almond croissants from Autolyse Bakery in Braddon, Canberra. If you haven’t tried these delectable morsels before, you need to get them in your life.
- Books. October was a month for some rather fanatical reading. Late at night and for hours on Sundays, I devoured Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, and then sped my way through Sharp Objects and Dark Spaces. Now I have hit another little void in my reading, which will no doubt have to be filled with something new soon or else I will start the Game of Thrones series again and we all know that is at least a six-month commitment!
- Chanel. My adorable husband surprised me on my birthday with Chanel’s Coco Mademoiselle – a perfume I had been admiring for some time. He’s a keeper.
- My birthday: My birthday was a rather odd combination of festivities and stress. I balanced a cheeky breakfast and afternoon tea with lovely colleagues with some rather intense work. But my friends and my better half were fantastic and made the day really special for me.
- Walking. I completed my 10,000 steps challenge and passed the magic number almost every day in October. The final few days were tough with a work/life balance skewed firmly in the direction of work, but I loved trying to hit the target day after day. Having a daily target kept the need to be active front of mind and I realised how important it was to stay active. It inspired me to walk more and get back into yoga and I couldn’t be more excited.
- Flowers. I got my hands on some peonies and I never want to let them go. It is hard to accurately describe my love for these generous blooms, but there is just something about them that I cannot resist. I had peonies in my wedding bouquet, in our floral centrepieces, and I even wore one in my hair.
- Lipstick. This month I set myself a 10-day beauty challenge to wear a different shade of lipstick every day and donate to charity. I found myself really enjoying wearing lipstick again after months of going without and it has inspired me to keep it in my beauty routine.
- Heels. I treated myself to a birthday present this month, designing a pair of shoes from the amazing Shoes of Prey. If you haven’t heard of this brilliant concept yet you need to check out their website www.shoesofprey.com. I went in planning on designing a pair of simple, versatile flats, but after an hour of playing with fabrics and adjusting heels my digital shopping cart was filled with the most gorgeous leopard print pumps. Oops – but I cannot wait to get my hands on them!