It’s that time of year again – everyone is about to pack their bags (and presents), load up their cars and hit the road for the Christmas holidays!
We are no exception and have some big days of driving ahead of us. My secret weapons for surviving road trips include lots of different music, bottles of water, plenty of toilet breaks that may or may not be related to the copious amounts of water mentioned previously, something sugary and sweet to perk you up, age-appropriate car games, and wearing the comfiest clothes you can possibly find.
But driving for hours at a time is just the beginning of your holiday travels. Once you arrive at your destination you then have to live out of a suitcase that hopefully has been packed full of everything you could possibly need on a summer holiday.
To make things easier at this often stressful time of year I have put together a little list of some of my summer essentials that will be coming with me these holidays:
- Swimwear: It just wouldn’t be a summer holiday without swimmers and I recently splashed out (see what I did there!) and purchased a Triangl bikini I had been admiring online since the winter months. Milly in New York Noir is a classic black neoprene bikini with a supportive top for the ladies. I’m not a huge fan of the traditional triangle bikini top so this style is perfect.
- Water: The days are hot and long in summer and it is so important to balance out your time in the sun (and at the bar) with some water so you don’t get dehydrated and end up feeling miserable. Try and take some water in the car for your road trip, with you to the beach and throw a bottle in your bag even when you are just ducking out briefly because it doesn’t take much for your body to feel the effects of the summer heat.
- Skincare: One of the first things on my list of “stuff to pack” is my Go-To Skincare range. With the humidity and heat of a Christmas on the coast I tend not to wear much makeup, so my skin has to be on point. I use the cleanser, face cream and body oil daily and then plan of using the exfoliating wipes a couple of times a week to get that fresh, dewy look.
- Thongs: I cannot live without my Havaianas in summer and when I recently broke my pair of classic black thongs I couldn’t replace them fast enough! While I do prefer wearing sandals or closed shoes for certain occasions, you just cannot beat the convenience and comfort of a simple pair of thongs in summer.
- Reading material: Summer holidays are all about down time. I use it as the perfect excuse to catch up on some reading and I already have a stack of books I want to get though. Thank goodness for the iPad library so I don’t have to lug all those books around with me, however I will be taking a friend’s copy of Yes Please by Amy Poehler with me which I can’t wait to dive into. Now though I am about halfway through Patricia Cornwell’s latest Flesh and Blood.
- Fake tan: While it’s great to get a bit of sun, you don’t want to spend most of your holiday a red hot mess battling sunburn on and off. Be smart, use sunscreen and pack a good quality fake tan or tanning moisturiser to achieve your summer colour. I am a fan of St Tropez’ gradual tan.
- Perfume: A nice fragrance can make a casual summer outfit a little bit fancy and so I plan on taking my Dior J’adore with me and Estee Lauder’s Beyond Paradise.
- Hair products: So if you are anything like me, perfect beachy hair just doesn’t happen naturally. When I get out of the water my hair is either slicked back flat to my skull or ratty and messy. To get that tousled, wavy look I love dry shampoo and a texture spray. Both are super simple to use and mean you can extend washing your hair a few extra days!
- Sunglasses: This is a no brainer. Take your sunglasses because you will need them EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.
- Smart luggage: I am taking a big suitcase with me this time because I will need to pack about two weeks worth of junk in. But I am trying my hardest to pack smarter and so of course I will be using my Silk Bowerbird jewellery wrap. My sister-in-law developed this fantastic range of travel accessories and the wrap is the perfect place to store my watch, necklaces, bracelets and rings without them ending up a tangled mess. Now I just need to work out how to do that with the rest of my wardrobe…
- The basics: My phone and iPad. Chargers for my phone and iPad. A camera. Hairbrush. Deodorant. Gimme Brow by Benefits. Clinique tubular mascara. Sandals. Summery dresses. Shorts. Colourful nail polish. An appetite for drinking and feasting. And, of course, presents!